Intelsat is a pioneer in satellite communications and a leading provider of communications services. Connect with the strength and stability of established leadership in global telecommunications. Join highly talented, experienced, scientific and market-driven professionals from around the world. Go further in your career at Intelsat.
At Intelsat, we believe in rewarding individuals for a job well done. This is one of the ways we attract and retain the most talented individuals in the world. And in addition to highly competitive pay with performance-based bonuses, we can offer you a wide array of world-class benefits.
Intern- Information Systems
Job Posting ID: 1845
Working Location: Washington, DC
Employment Type: Intern
Join the leader with over 45 years of Satellite Communications experience for 12-weeks as a summer intern on the Information Systems Team. This competitively paid internship is the perfect opportunity to receive exposure, guidance, and feedback from industry professionals in a work environment.
The Intelsat IT Operations and Engineering group is responsible for maintaining the Data Center(s) and IT infrastructure worldwide. The group is composed of three teams handling different areas of IT Ops – the Helpdesk is the call center handling internal customer calls, the Level2 team is the first level escalation point for the Helpdesk team plus handles the day-to-day operations in the Data Center(s) and the Level3 team comprising of the SMEs handling IT Engineering/Architecture.
In 2011, IT Operations and Engineering has multiple key projects that have aggressive timetables. The requested intern position will have an active role in several key infrastructure upgrade projects, while also assisting in day-to-day IT Operations. The intern’s primary responsibility will be to assist in upgrading to Windows7, managing/provisioning over 1000 laptops/desktops. As part of this initiative, the intern will assist in capturing our existing laptops/desktops inventory and creating a baseline that we can use to verify against our SCCM inventories. This position will also assist in creating documents pertaining to IT Ops, working with our L2 team to capture their ongoing tasks into process/procedure documents. The position will also support the upgrade to MS Office 2010, and will work with the Information Security team to implement a new security policy in Windows 7. When completed the intern position will have working real world experience in IT Operations, both in managing/provisioning Windows systems as well as a better understanding of the effort and skill required to manage a mature data center.
1. Assist in upgrading Intelsat from Windows XP to Windows 7
2. Instituting and testing the new desktop security policy in conjunction with the Windows 7 rollout
3. Support the upgrade to MS Office 2010; technical activities as well as working with end users to ease the transition
1. Troubleshoot and triage real operational problems affecting the Level 2 operations team
2. Assist with daily IT operations such as system failures, system patching and system builds (server and desktop provisioning)
3. Participate in design and system reviews
**ITAR Access Required. Candidate must be a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Aslyee**
CANDIDATE MUST BE AN UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT
• Undergraduate students must be a rising junior or senior to apply
• Undergraduate students must have been enrolled full-time in the Spring 2011 Semester.
• All candidates must be enrolled as full-time students for the Fall 2011 Semester.
• Experience working with computers
• Basic knowledge of operating systems
• Basic knowledge of MS Office
• Must possess a motivated and team player work ethic
• Relationship building (people) skills
• Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Excellent organizational skills, ability to take technical direction and ability to prioritize tasks
• Experience with CM, subversion or CVS is a plus
• Good technical skills, Good Teamwork and collaboration skills, Good communication skills, and Result driven
Required Experience: Less than 1 year
Required Education: High School Degree
Travel Required: No
Travel Percentage: 0
Department Name: IT Operations and Engineering (Information Systems)