One student has been treated for a minor abrasion following a Savannah State shooting just after 1 am on Sunday.

At approximately 1:22 am, two campus police officers on foot patrol heard a loud commotion in the University Village.

According to an email alert to all students from the SSU Department of Public Safety, a black male discharged a handgun near two pedestrians. An officer challenged the armed man at gunpoint and the gunman fled north behind building 10 of the University Village.

One student received a minor abrasion on his leg from the gunshot and was treated at the scene by EMS without emergency transport.

The campus was immediately placed on lockdown as officers searched for the shooter.


A 23-year-old man was arrested after a shooting at Savannah State University on Friday night.

Nicholas Rashad Cox is charged with carrying a weapon on school property, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, possession of a firearm in committing a crime and criminal damage to property in the second degree, all felonies.

The investigation by Savannah State police began after a security officer witnessed three men coming out of a University Commons apartment around 11:15 p.m., two of them holding the other up. One of the men yelled to the officer that the man they were holding up had been shot, according to an incident report.

The wounded man was placed in the back seat of a white vehicle, which then left out of University Commons, and the officer radioed the incident in to dispatch, according to the report.

Two officers attempted to intercept the vehicle at the LaRoche Avenue gate, but it had already departed campus.

After officers and a detective responded and questioned residents of University Commons, police determined that Cox was the suspected shooter.

According to the report, Cox returned to his home off East Victory Drive and called Savannah-Chatham police to report he was robbed by two men at the university, and that he discharged his handgun and hit one of them.

Cox was escorted back to Savannah State and arrested early Saturday morning. He was then booked in the Chatham County Jail.

Savannah State spokeswoman Loretta Heyward said the person who was shot was not a student at the university. She said she believed he was taken to the hospital and underwent surgery, but that his injuries were not life-threatening.

Cox, she said, was a student at the university last year, but he was not enrolled in summer classes.

The case is still under investigation.