Chased by Fort Valley defenders, Kentucky State University's Jacquise Lockett runs in for a touchdown during the game Saturday at Alumni Stadium. (Hannah Reel/

Frankfort, KY (October 8, 2011) – The Thorobreds battled their way past the Fort Valley Wildcats with a 25-24 victory Saturday afternoon. The victorious game was an addition to KSU celebrating 125 years of excellence.

Kentucky State elected to receive the ball for the first half. The Thorobreds were unsuccessful on their opening drive of the game. The Wildcat’s offense moved quickly in their first possession of the game. Travis Richmond had a 6 yard touchdown run with 12:14 left in the first quarter of the game. Kicker, Justin Rosenbaum capped off the possession with a successful kick.

The Thorobred offense speed slightly kicked up when freshman, Jacquise Lockett rushed for a 44 yard touchdown. Cade Berryman kick was successful to tie the score with 5:12 left in the first quarter. Christopher Slaughter of  the Wildcats finished off the first quarter with a reception from Rashad Johnson which resulted in a touchdown. Rosenbaum completed the drive with another successful kick. With 3:29 left in the first half, Fort Valley’s Rashad Johnson rushed for a yard that resulted in a touchdown with a successful kick followed up by Rosenbaum making the score 21-7 at the half.

The second half began slowly for both teams. Quarterback, Martez James rushed for a one yard touchdown with 6:47 left. Berryman’s kick was blocked which left the score 21-13 at the end of the third quarter with the Breds trailing Fort Valley.

The Thorobred defense  held steady in the fourth quarter and limited the Wildcats to a field goal for the remaining of the game. Lockett showed more of his running game when he  rushed for a 49 yard touchdown with 7:50 remaining on the clock. The offense’s two-point conversion failed leaving the score 24-19 with the Breds still trailing the Wildcats.

With a quick three and out from Fort Valley, KSU’s offense went back on the field setting up for a victory. James faked a handoff to a running back and instead rushed for 17 yards himself only leaving 2:07 on the clock for retaliation from the Wildcats.

Fort Valley attempted to set them up for field goal range but the Breds stopped them. Senior Keith Massey intercepted a pass at KSU’s 14 yard line which claimed Kentucky State University’s homecoming victory.

With the win, the Kentucky State University Thorobreds 4-2 on the season and 1-2 in the SIAC. For the Breds’ next game they travel to Fairfield, AL, on Saturday, October 15, 2011 to play Miles College AT 7:00 P.M.

By Danielle Wright

All Photos couresty of Hannah Reel (