Grambling State’s freshman duo led the way Monday night,and the Lady Tigers’ second half offensive woes are seemingly over.

“That’s what we’re working on, being able to finish,” said head coach Donita Rogers. “You also have to look at [the fact that] we’re still starting two freshman in Savannah Carter and Cierra Ceazer.

The Lady Tigers outscored the Lady Braves 38-30 in the second half to clinch a 66-58 victory after being tied at 28 in the first period. Freshman Savannah Carter totaled 15 points and seven assists while her counterpart, freshman Cierra Ceazer, aided with 13 points.

Grambling's Savannah Carter shoots over Alcorn's Breanna Whitfield. (GSU Athletics)

After suffering losses to Texas Southern and Prairie View, in which the Lady Tigers were outscored in both second halves, the Lady Tigers outscored their opponents in the second half of five consecutive games, resulting in four wins, including two in the Hobdy Arena.

In the first half, Alcorn opened the game with a full court press which caused problems for Grambling. In the first three minutes of the game the Lady Tigers gave the ball away four times but still led 6-2. Carter, who went 1-11 in their win over Southern, did the majority of her damage in the first half by scoring nine points and converting 5-6 from the charity stripe.

“I just made my free-throws and layups,” Carter said.

They would eventually go on an 8-0 run to take a 20-14 lead with 7:40 left in the half, but instead of going into halftime with an advantage, Alcorn State took advantage of the 16 extra possessions courtesy of the Lady Tigers.

“Historically, we will cough it up early in the first half then we’ll get it together,” said head coach Donita Rogers. “They wouldn’t let my girls get their flow or a good dribble or anything going. As soon as they put it (the ball) on the floor they got one bounce maximum and the double is coming.”

The Tigers surely got it together. Their start to the second half was contrary to the first. The Tigers kept the ball and kept the lead. Rather jumping out to 6-2 lead early they went on an 11-2 within the first three minutes, and they doubled their largest lead in the first half and held a 49-37 with 12:35 left to play. The Lady Tigers never trailed in the second half.