Model_tiger_mascot_at_Grambling_State_Univ._IMG_3652 Referenced from – WJCI 

The SSU student newspaper originally reported a campus building was on lockdown pending a GBI investigation. We’ve tracked down school leaders to explain what’s going on.

We talked to campus police, the school’s spokeswoman, members of the student newspaper, and a GBI agent.

The Savannah State marching band is temporarily suspended. They did not perform at last night’s game.  We also know GBI agents are investigating the death of a band member. Savannah State’s spokeswoman says the band is suspended for violating the University’s student code of conduct. An article in the student run newspaper, Tiger Roar, reported the campus building where band student practice, Kennedy Fine Arts, was on lockdown Saturday. This due to a GBI investigation into the deaths of a band member.

Loretta Heywood, the spokesperson from the school, and Campus Police say this is not true. The band room is locked but the Fine Arts Building is not on lockdown.

Meanwhile, the original post of that article is no longer on the school’s site.

The GBI did confirm to WJCL tonight, through email, that there is an on- going death investigation at the University.  This investigation surrounds the death of a student band member who was found unresponsive in a dorm on November  1st.  At the time of death, the school issued a notice stating the death did not appear suspicious but the GBI will be investigating.

The GBI says the cause of death is pending autopsy results at this point.

The band did not play at Savannah State’s game Saturday. While there are several rumors as to why the band is suspended indefinitely, students say they the game didn’t feel the same.

“It’s sad right now, we feed off their energy. It was kind of different with them not being there at halftime,” said Brandon Bailey, SSU student.

“I don’t know the circumstances, but I do hope that they are back. Because we have the basketball seasons coming up. We have one more game against byu. Hopefully they are back,” said Edward Goubadil, SSU student.

Meanwhile, there is no confirmation if the death of this student and the suspension of the University’s band are related.